Thursday, March 8, 2018

Research

     The past few days, I have been researching and gathering information that can help me for my opening.

 One of my favorite films is Whiplash by Damien Chazelle. In this drama there is a constant feeling of tenseness that leaves the watcher on the corner of their seat. One of the great parts of the movie is the opening itself. You are instantly grabbed into the movie after witnessing the tense scene. In this opening we are instantly introduced to the protagonist playing the drums. We see him practicing on a drum kit sweating and working to get better. This is quickly interrupted by the harsh drum teacher that teaches the highest level class. He intimidates the protagonist and makes him feel a bit bad about himself. This short scene instantly gives so much information about both characters and really opens the movie to set up the plot.


Image result for whiplash     This opening has given me an idea on how I want mine to be. Since I love the idea of a mentor watching and judging the student, I want my opening to be a bit similar. I'm going to have my protagonist training on a field playing soccer whilst a man is watching and judging him. The protagonist wouldn't see this man until the very end of the scene.

     The whole movie concept with the whole mentor and student thing from Whiplash has really led me in the direction for my movie idea. Whiplash is one of my favorite movies that's so ingeniously directed and made. I think throughout this process, I will be looking back at Whiplash for inspiration and ideas.

Image result for baby driver     Like I said on a previous blog post, Baby Driver by Edgar Wright is another movie that I will be looking at for ideas. It is such a good movie with a great sound track. The music that goes along with the action creates the style. I think that is why I loved it so much. One thing I learned from re watching the opening is the way the music went in sync with the the diegetic sounds. For instance in the opening, we see a car chase between Baby (the protagonist), and the police. Every movement baby did went in sync with the music. The engine turning on, the gear stick changing positions, honks of other cars, and so many more. This made the opening significantly better and yet hard to notice.


     When in post production, I am going to try my hardest to get the music to go in sync with the kicks of the ball and other diegetic sounds. I think it will be challenging but I'm going to try my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

https://youtu.be/1wip7JcgGuI